Thursday, February 28, 2008

How'd She Do This?

I am truly amazed at how the Queen managed to keep it together doing this job. As you may know, I recently took on her duties so that she could move on to another opportunity. But now I'm really questioning why I accepted ALL these duties and ever morning I'm amazed to think about how she always stayed so organized and upbeat.

I know that some of my issues are just because I haven't gotten into the groove and set my own pace yet. And of course there is the learning curve, since the system we use to do most of our work was completely foreign to me. And hopefully this will all be smoothed out as I become more comfortable and confident in my actions.

What is really bothering me, though is the fact that everybody seems to think that when the Queen left she left her brain and all her history and knowledge behind as well. So much of this stuff is judgement call based on her history with a group, and I don't have that, yet. And the whole "I'm new to the job" doesn't really seem to fly either because I've been on the account for longer than the Queen, but just not involved in this particular area. Grrrr, people are annoying.

Okay, enough of my complaining. I have to take on the mantra that things will get better and that I will succeed at this job and that it is a great learning opportunity for me to understand even more of the overall running of an IT organization.

5 comments:

Sam said...

your right it is a great learning experience in a specific area. The real "hands on" type training:-)

and if all else fails go back to the old tried and true method of laughter to get you through.

Queen B said...

ah, shucks :) Well, you know that the Queen uses laughter often... you must laugh through the insanity, or you will go on a murderous rampage!

And I have to say that you are doing GREAT! I was totally impressed with how quickly you picked things up because it is mostly ALL new stuff for you. Hang in there.

As for the Queen leaving her brain behind... well, I left it behind me somewhere, but I couldn't for the life of me tell you where! Plus, I have the worst memory ever, so if people count on me to remember crap, they're screwed. Most of the situations I dealt with or set precedent by are found in The Binder. Everything else, just make something up and tell them that is how it is! That's what I always did :) It's your job... define it in a way that makes sense to you.

Queen B said...

PS: that's the only way you'll remember how you set a precedent... it has to just logically make sense to you. The decision you would make over and over!

Andrea said...

Thanks for the advice, Queen. That is why I'm sticking to the "nope, nada, no can do, sorry you have to have 5 days" philosophy!!

Kim Thomas said...

The Queen is so smart but don't worry, everyday it will get easier and the judgement calls will get easier too.