Tuesday, April 13, 2010

2010 Book 8 - The Heretic's Daughter

I finished Kathleen Kent's book The Heretic's Daughter a couple of weeks ago, but am just now getting around to blogging about it. Here is what is described on the back of the book:
In 1752 Sarah Carrier Chapman, weak with infirmity, writes a letter to her granddaughter, revealing the secret she has closely guarded for six decades...
Her story begins more than a year before the Salem witch trials, when nine-year-old Sarah and her family arrive in a New England community already gripped by superstition and fear. As they witness neighbor pitted against neighbor, friend against friend, hysteria escalates - until more than two hundred men, women, and children have been swept into prison. Among them is Sarah's mother, Martha Carrier.
In an attempt to protect her children, Martha asks Sarah to commit an act of heresy - a lie that will most surely condemn Martha even as it will save her daughter.
I love reading stories between mothers and daughters, I don't know why because I like to think I have a great relationship with my mom. I would recommend this book to anybody. It gives insight into not only the relationship between a mother and her daughter, but also into what people may have had to go through during that time period in our country's history.

1 comment: