Saturday, January 12, 2013
Friday, January 11, 2013
This is another from my spring Italy trip collection. I see this and think of Sara and think that she needs to put such a wine shelf out on her patio...you know so that guests will know what the selection is that they are drinking.... This was actually outside of a wine shop and displaying the options available for purchase.
Thursday, January 10, 2013
Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Tuesday, January 8, 2013
So, we are now eight days into the new year and I guess it is time for me to come up with my New Year's Resolutions....or not. I had actually decided that I wouldn't put into writing what my resolutions would be this year as I always end up failing miserably at them and, well, I am resolving to ease up on beating myself up constantly...okay, so I just put a resolution into writing....
Anyway, on Sunday, the service was all about New Year's Resolutions and the following was inserted into our order of service:
What are Intentions?
It is easy to make New Year's resolutions, but so hard to keep them. Underneath each resolution is intent. Often it is here that we find the motivation (or lack of) to carry out a resolution. Are your resolutions grounded in well considered intentions? Reflect on your deepest intentions and you may find the reason you fail to keep your resolutions.
Reflections: These questions are better than resolutions. Use them as a mantra through the year.
- What are my intentions for myself, my friends and family, my enemies, the world? Do I wish them harm or do I wish them well? Do I intend to make them happy? Is my intent to be right?
- Am I jealous or envious of others? Do I measure my own worth by my neighbors, my wealth, my success?
- Am I living up to expectations from my family, from advertising and the media, from my fears and insecurities? Does this make my happy?
- Are my goals and resolutions for the year grounded in Right Intention* or am I trying to fill a void, make myself more acceptable, successful, desirable, etc.
- Am I truly grounded in good will for all beings -- even those I do not like?
- How do I intend to have good will toward all beings? What must I give up? What must I develop?
- How aligned are my goals with my deepest values?
- Are any grounded in greed, hate, or delusion?
(*Right Intention is not "good intention". It comes from an understanding of what liberates me from greed, hate fear, and delusion.)
- Just what are my delusions?
After reading through this and thinking on this, I realize that there is so much that I can improve in myself just by thinking through these questions and putting these up against my actions and hopefully be a better person for it in the end. Therefore, 2013 is the year of no resolutions...only intentions. I want to make myself a better person and by doing that, hopefully, be able to improve the world, even if it is just one small corner.
This is a picture of one of the masks that came with the nebulizer that I had to purchase for Leo's care. The other one was a fish mask... I did not use either of them on Leo.
He came home from the animal hospital last night and was very excited to be home. I have about 4 different medications (antibiotics, cough suppressant, steroids) as well as the nebulizer medications, saline solution, and needles to draw the saline out of the IV bag, just call me Clara Barton for animals. We had our first round of medicines and nebulizer last night before bed and after a little struggle with getting him to sit and actually let me blow the medicine into his nose, he eventually settled in...sadly, in order to hold him and the mask close enough to him, I have to have my head pretty close as well and am breathing in some of the medicine as well....I have to say that I do feel like my bronchial airways are feeling more opened.