Monday, May 30, 2011

2011 - Book 13 - The Hunger Games

I just finished the first book in Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games trilogy, appropriately titled The Hunger Games. Since I actually read the book version of this and not on my Kindle, I can provide what is written on the back of the book:

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before - and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
I'm very excited to move on to the next one in this series. Amazon had been recommending these books to me for quite sometime, but I never opted to purchase them. Then I saw them listed in the "young adult" area at Target and had one of those magical thoughts that perhaps the "young adult" in my life may have read these books and still have them.... lo and behold, she did. So I've borrowed these books from my niece (so nice that she and I can share literature).
I give this book a thumbs up. It is entertaining and intriguing, while not Ayn Rand, it did remind me of some of her work...

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Christian and I both LOVED this series! FYI, the second one, while good, is not as good as the first and third. If you like this series, you should also try The Maze Runner by James Dashner.

Jaye said...

When you are through with this series, please pass them on to me....I have a friend who is reading them now and has raved about them. We'll make it a three generation interest!!!