Tuesday, February 19, 2008

First Installment of the Banana Slug Chronicles

It was a dark and stormy night.....

Oh wait, that is another story. This is the story of the search for the elusive Banana Slug.


On Saturday, February 16, 2008, the Queen B, Sam, and I left the Tartine Bakery, which has THE BEST croissants in North America, and headed off on our day trip to Muir Woods and then to the Sonoma wine country of Northern California. The night before the Queen and I sat down with MapQuest and plotted out our turn by turn trip so that she could be my personal Carmen and tell me where I needed to go. It was a gorgeous day as we drove across the Golden Gate bridge and headed to the Muir Woods.
















We found the park in record time in part thanks to the Queen's navigation, Sam's coffee and croissants, and my Dale Earnhart driving abilities!! The group enters the park and marvels at the beautiful trees. Well, actually we spent half of the time looking at the ground in search of the elusive Banana Slug. It wasn't until about half way through the short trail, which we opted for so we could get to the wine drinking that much faster, that we decided to look up and at the trees. Of course, this looking up immediately made me dizzy, so I had to go back to scanning the ground for the elusive BS otherwise I would have fallen over and that would be the end of the trip to Muir Woods and wineries.


We finished our travels through the park with no sign of the elusive BS aside from the paintings of them as captured by the spectacular photography of the Queen.


After much consideration, and in honor of the elusive Banana Slug, the three of us decided that we would henceforth be known as the BS Club when we are out in woods together in search of wildlife.


Please check back soon for the next installment of the Banana Slug Chronicles where the BS Club ventures into the deepest, darkest regions of Sonoma in search of the Elixer of the Girls....

6 comments:

Queen B said...

Great first chapter! So far I am remembering all of these details! I must agree that the Tartine Bakery is a must-do when you're in San Fran.

The story on the banana slug is that I went to Muir Woods when I was 6 or so, and the only thing that I really remember about the trip was spotting this really cool banana slug. This trip, all that we saw were the paintings. I was guessing that it was too cold for them to be out, since they don't have a furry coat!

Ann said...

I'm loving this! Love the BS Club, too...great name!

Sam said...

I love the saying of the "ever elusive Banana slug" I think if we get out next sat. into santa Cruz mts. we will need to do some more wildlife recon.:-). Reading this brings back the whole experience again. So glad you are blogging!

Jenn Ann said...

YAY for Sam's support!!!

Jinjer said...

The Ever Elusive Banana Slug and the BS Club...this is AWESOME!!

Kim Thomas said...

Great Chapter!