Sunday, November 23, 2008

Saturday Movie Night

No, I didn't go see Twilight or any other movie at a theatre. I did go see a movie, actually a double feature. 

My friend/boss, Terri invited me to come over to her house on Saturday as they were having drive-in movie night in their driveway. They put up a sheet over the garage door and rigged a projector and speakers up to their DVD player and showed Kung-Fu Panda and WALL-E

All the neighborhood kids and their parents came over and we all sat outside eating popcorn and drinking wine (well the kids drank water) and watched movies. It got pretty cold sitting out there and eventually all the kids ended up in a big pile on the driveway with blankets and pillows and all the adults were in their lawn chairs wrapped up as well. But it was really a great thing, inexpensive, and entertaining. 

I recommend everybody do this with their friends and neighbors at some time. To me, it was great to see a neighborhood gather together and just hang out like that. I remember growing up in smaller towns and all the neighborhood kids and parents getting together for things like the Fourth of July or something, but I didn't know that people still visited and shared with their neighbors in that manner. Maybe I've just been living the single life so long and going from one apartment to another, that I don't see these displays of Americana anymore. I don't know how to describe it, I guess, but it just gave me a warm fuzzy inside seeing all these kids piled up together to stay warm and all the parents gathered together to have some good, clean fun. 

Oh and Kung-Fu Panda was really good. WALL-E, I could have passed on. And I'm down one more bottle of wine. 

3 comments:

Queen B said...

FUN! sad I missed it :(

sftravelingirl said...

that is a great idea. Fun saturday night! i know a couple of people have mentioned to me that i should do that in my patio and use the next door building's wall as the screen. I guess i would need a projector though. We could try for next summer "movies in the garden" lol

Jane said...

No Twilight?? Geez come to muy house