Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Walking

Issue: I'm no longer good at walking alone.

History: I've been really doing a good job walking pretty consistently and the last couple of times Samantha has joined me on my walks. Today, however, I was on my own. When walking with Sam, I have a tendency to walk a little slower. Sam is a couple of three inches shorter than I am and I have a fairly long stride. In order to put her into a complete run, I keep my long stride and just slow the pace down.

Today, I didn't have her around to be my "pace" car. I started out at a pretty good pace and the next thing I know my ankle starts to give me troubles. Actually, let me say it was hurting. I've had to be very careful with this ankle for almost a year now, ever since I fell of Jill's boat last year and sprained it. It has never healed properly and I baby it. I haven't been having any troubles with it lately, thanks to being really careful with how I walk and working to keep everything in alignment.

Solution: I really, really wanted to stop walking, but knew that I would just be mad at myself if I did that. I stopped and did some stretching and then decided that I needed to slow myself down. Easier said than done, without my pace car. So, how did I do it? I had to come up with a song (I know that is a shocker that I turned to music) that would give me the correct pace. I came up with and started singing in my head Patsy Cline's Walking After Midnight. It has a nice 4/4 beat with a bit of bounce.

And yes, that would be the song to add to ABBA's soundtrack for the day.

2 comments:

Jenn Ann said...

LOVE the soundtrack of ABBA's life! And good for you!

Queen B said...

good job on not stopping. it is SO easy to talk yourself out of doing anything exercise-related when you're on your own.

if I walk with you, we're gonna have issues because I won't be a slower pace car ;)