Friday, September 10, 2010

2010 Camping - Night One

Dear Diary -
Well, I am back at Bass Lake camping with my friends. It is, as always, beautiful up here. However, last nigh it was COLD...but let's not start there.
The trip started off doomed as I was going to the airport and got stuck in traffic and then lost trying to find the parking place. I know, I know I've parked there a gagillion times, but... Well, I managed to get to the airport with time to spare because even though I was running behind, I was still working on ABBA time, which is always early.
Flight was good, although it seemed to take forever!! Sam pulled up to the curb just as I stepped out of the building and we were off.
When we got up to the camp site Jill had already set most everything up, so I helped Sam get her tent done and then blew up my air mattresses and made my bed.
We then gathered around the fire and had dinner. Thank God for the fire because it got down into the 40s at least last night (it is currenly 51 as I write this). I finally reach my tiredness point and decide it is time for bed.
I go into the tent and find that one of my matresses has gone flat. Luckily the other one still has some air so I won't be directly on the grounds. I change into my sleeping gear (long stretchy pants, wife beater tank, long sleeve tee, fleece sweatshirt and eventually socks). I crawl into bed and stare at the stars, which I can easily see because there is no cover to the top of the tent. I can't sleep because I'm too cold and I have to pee, again. So, I get up go pee, borrow a blanket from Sam, which I end up wrapping around my head to keep in the warmth wishing I had my stocking cap. I watch the fire die down and then when I start hearing more and more night creatures I go crawl back in bed where I wrap blanket around head, wrap fleece blanket around body, comforter on to top on that and give into the hyperthermia...
Luckily I woke up again to write this and it looks like it is going to be a beautiful day, all be it, another chilly one. Don't know how much time I'll actually spend on the water...

3 comments:

Queen B said...

wow! that is so less drama-filled than Day 1 last year :)

saw your flight was slightly delayed.... wasn't sure how rough the airport would have been, after all the storms the night before.

have a mimosa for me!

Jaye said...

Isn't it fun!!! Being with friends and freezing your butt off all at the same time! We are on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia...in a very nice resort room. We stopped at the info center on the way in to the island and the tour guide had "connections"...actually this place was looking for customers for the end of the season...so we got a great deal!!! Just finished eating my first and probably last lobster on the East Coast....very yummy!

Diane said...

Have fun! I have not been camping for years.