Friday, September 16, 2011

Devil Dog Ruminations

Below is a conversation that I had at lunch today:

ABBA: I think I'm going to take my puppy to the vet on Monday. He has a pretty bad cough and sniffly nose.

Male Lunch Companion #1: Oh no. Kennel Cough. You need to get that taken care of.

ABBA: He hasn't been to a kennel.

MLC#1: Doesn't matter. It is airborn. How much of your monthly budget have you set aside for vet costs?

ABBA: Ummm (Thinking to myself "I'm supposed to have a budget? Oh right, yeah, that's the adult thing to do.")

MLC#2: Yeah those vet bills can really get up there. I had a friend who's bill cost $4500 for a MRI....

{More conversation between MLC#1 and MLC#2 occurred here about other people's vet bills as well as their own. I stopped listening and started thinking about shoes.}

Lull in the conversation.

ABBA: How much does it cost to put a dog down?

MLC#1: You are walking back to the office.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Now mind you, I LOVE my puppy and I would definitely get this cough thing taken care of and will do other things for him and pay for other things. But, I am of the mindset that I will have a 'no heroics' policy for my pets. I know this makes me sound like a horrible person and since I'm not at that bridge this is the stance I'm taking. I'm sure if I ever have to approach that bridge, I will think differently.
Of course, I'm also the person who idenitifies with the Deni Moore character from St. Elmo's Fire when she is talking about dealing with her step mother's prolonged illness and the cost of her burial and thinking about dressing her up in a dog suit....it's a good movie, you should see it. Hmm, how'd I get here....

Jane said...

LOL

So want to know who lunch patrons are.....

Diane said...

Hope DD gets better soon.

Sara said...

um, an MRI is an insane pet expense....