Monday, August 12, 2013

If Challenge (8/12)

Question: If you had to lose one of your five senses, which would you give up?

Answer: Once again, this is a toughy. I've actually talked about this before with my family on some car ride long ago. My first thought was to give up hearing, but now I am rethinking that. I love to listen to music and books on tape and streaming podcasts and all sorts of things, so I think it would be really hard to give up hearing. Of course I also love the sound of silence, but I think constant silence with just the voices in my head would drive me insane. Plus, I'm not certain I would be able to learn sign language at this age.

I KNOW I couldn't give up vision because I read too much and there is the quilting and use of color that requires sight.

That leaves the sense of smell, taste, and touch. Well touch is out because there are so many things that I do that rely on my sense of touch, like feeling for pins when quilting or petting Leo.

We are now down to two...smell and taste, which are intimately entwined. The sense of smell plays a huge part in being able to add to the flavor of so many things. But, if I had to give up one of my senses, I really think it would be either taste or smell. I mean, if I don't really enjoy the flavor of food any longer, would there be the desire to eat as much?

(By the way, I did a search for a picture of a tongue to include in the post to accentuate my choice, but they were really gross and sadly, there are now some tongue images that are burned into my retina that I just not not see now...sigh...maybe giving up my vision wouldn't be so bad after that....)

2 comments:

Jaye said...

interesting blog...I think one discussion we had was between eyes and ears...and loss of eyes would be much worse...When thinking of all the senses..I have to agree that either taste or smell would be least tragic to loose...and I almost think I would go for taste rather than smell...there are times when smell could be pretty important!!

Sara said...

LOL! I need to answer this one... I like the process of working through why you need each one!