Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Friday - Camping Day Two - Afternoon/Evening

So, the three of us head to the boat ramp to get the boat in the water and have "girl time".

Sadly, the first challenge was getting the truck and boat backed down the ramp. Luckily, a couple of very nice gentlemen offered to give us a hand, mostly because I think they didn't want to have to wait in line while we pulled forward then backed up and pulled forward again. Jill and I jumped on the boat and backed into the lake while Samantha drove the truck and the boat hitch thingy to park it and the plan was to meet us back at the dock. While Jill and I were floating around on the lake, we decided that we needed to cool off a bit and I did something that I haven't done in probably my whole life. I jumped off the boat and went completely underwater. (For those of you who are not aware, I have a slight 'issue' with having my face wet, to the point where I have to keep a towel in the shower with me to dry my face. I have always been the Queen of the dog paddle.) So, me jumping in the water straight off, going under water, and enjoying it was a completely new experience for me!!

We get back on the boat and head over to the dock. Jill gave me a quick lesson in tieing ropes and then handed me the rope to use to tie up the boat. Her words to me were "Hop onto the dock and cushion the boat." I say "Sure, not a problem." We approach the dock, I swing one foot over the side of the boat in preparation for "hopping". Understand, I don't "hop". I figured I would just "step" onto the dock. So, we approach, Jill tells me to hop, I step. My left foot is on the dock, my right foot is stuck in the seat cushions on the boat. Even though the boat is in neutral, there are wakes coming into shore and the boat starts to float away from the dock. I am now the human equivalent to the wishbone being pulled apart. I give Jill a look of complete fear and confusion. She, sadly, sadly can do nothing for me. Sam is too far away on the shore to do anything. I am stuck and being stretched, farther and farther apart. Finally, I have to make a decision. I remove my foot from the dock, slap into the side of the boat, my foot comes unstuck from the seat cushions, I yell out, and splash into lake. Yes, it was the quintessential boating physical joke. The good thing, I survived (only with a swollen ankle, which gave me trouble the rest of the weekend) AND I never let go of the rope to tie the boat off. Jill killed the motor, I swam around to the rear and pulled myself back into the boat laughing the whole time...

Whew, quite the excitement. The rest of the afternoon the three of us played on the lake, drank some champagne, ate some Cheetos, soaked up the sun, and shared stories. Sam learned how to drive the boat so that Jill could do some wake-boarding. Check out some of the photos:

Sam Learning to Drive the Boat

Jill and Sam

View off the Boat

Jill on the Wake Skate

Around 5:00 we decided that we were getting hungry (and you know I don't do well when I'm hungry because then I get grumpy) and decided to get off the lake. We anchored the boat near our campsite and swam into shore. Sam and I went and set up the tent for the guys since we didn't want them to have to deal with it when they finally got in (yeah, yeah, we are really nice). We then grabbed a change of clothes and headed down to Miller's Landing for showers and to grab a bite to eat. We still didn't have a grill or lights.

The tokens for the shower were $3 for 5 minutes. It is surprising how quickly you can learn to shower when it costs that much and the water is only cold. After the showers, we got burgers and shakes at the grill there and waited for Alex and Tony to arrive so that they could follow us out to the campsite since it was a little difficult to find.

After food, the five of us headed back to the camp site and started a fire. "Luckily" we still had some gasoline left over from when we had to fill up Jill's truck, so that was used to get the fire started (Kids, don't try that at home EVER). We made some cocktails, turned on some tunes, and kicked back. Somehow, Jill and I ended up dancing the night away.

Jill and Andrea Dancing

Eventually Heidi and her husband arrived with the lamps and the party kept going. Around elevenish, we finally wrapped it up and headed to bed. All in all (aside from the whole Andrea falling into the lake thing) it was a great first full day camping. At this point, I'm still liking camping!!

Next day of camping and boating coming soon....

3 comments:

Queen B said...

Wow! Great job on jumping in and enjoying the water. I'm so proud of you!

I sooooo want to try wake boarding and tubing!

Poor human wishbone. I can totally visualize that + your "sheer terror" look :) :(

I would pay $10 for a 5 minute shower while camping

Paula said...

Overall, sounds like Day 2 was a success. Sorry about your ankle though! I totally get the wet face thing. I myself don't like swimming in river/lake/ocean water. I'd much rather be in a pool.

Jinjer said...

$3 for 5 minutes? OMG. As for the boat, I had that happen to me one time where I had to make a decision as to dock or boat and then eventually fell in! As for getting your face wet, SO proud of you for trying that and having a new experience!!! :) You should be proud! Being an OCD'er, I know how big those events are!