Thursday, September 11, 2008

Saturday - Camping Day Three

We now had the whole party present at the camp ground now, so when we got up this morning and had a full breakfast of sausage, bacon, hash browns, eggs made-to-order, fresh brewed coffee with Bailey's Irish Cream, and Mimosas. You have to admit that we know how to start the day off right.

Serving Breakfast:


Group Shot Enjoying Breakfast:



The next thing on the list was to move Heidi and her husband, Tony, and Alex down from the campsite next to the bathroom to the campsite next to the sloping site where Jill, Samantha, and I were located. (One little side note, poor Alex didn't sleep well because the air mattress he stole from me lost all of its air and by the middle of the night he ended up sleeping directly on the ground.)

After all of the rearranging of the campsites and cleaning up after breakfast, we put on our suits, gathered up our alcohol for the day and headed off to play on the lake. Luckily Alex had experience with his own boat at one time, so Jill had somebody helping her out with getting the boat on the water, the people loaded into it, and driving it around the lake so she could enjoy herself as well as the rest of us and not have to be on constant alert as to what was going on with the boat. While the day on the boat was pretty uneventful, in that there were no moments of Andrea falling off the boat and that is really what is really important here!! Okay, only kidding. Pretty much everybody took turns trying out the wake boards or knee boards, but the real hit was the giant inner tubes that were pulled behind the boat. Check out some of the photos from Saturday on the lake:

Group in the Boat


Tony and Alex Set for Tubing Battles


Heidi Being Swallowed by the Man-Eating Life Vest


Alex, Sam, and Jill in the Boat


A little after noon, we docked at a restaurant/bar on the lake and went in to grab a bite to eat. By this point my back had started to glow just a smidgen (even with the SPF50), so I was pretty happy to get off the lake for a while.

About 2:00 PM, we all piled back into the boat and decided to stop at one end of the lake and just float for a while so that we could all just relax and enjoy the sun and water. Check out all of us relaxing in the sun:

Alex Relaxing in the Tube


Sam and Heidi


Andrea Asleep in the Boat


We spent a nice long time just floating and chatting and sleeping. Eventually, we were visited by some water fowl, who it seems love to eat Cheetos and attack toes:

Jill's Toes, The Geese, and a Cheetos


Tony and The Geese:

About 5:00 we decided it was time to get off the lake and go take showers and have a bite to eat. So, Alex helped Jill get the boat anchored down, we all went to Miller's Landing and paid the $3 for 5 minutes of showers (I actually splurged and paid for 10 minutes.) We grabbed some more ice, firewood, and headed back to the campsite. Surprise, surprise, it had once again gotten dark out, so dinner (a wonderful tri-tip, garlic bread, salad, and corn on the cob) was cooked by lantern light, but it was still wonderful tasting.

I, unfortunately, became quite the victim of camping injuries on this night. I twisted my ankle, again, and ended up falling and sliding down the slope. I ended up with a bruise on the palm of my hand, scrapes and bruises on both knees, dust and dirt all over which was upsetting after just showering. I then was helping to clean up after dinner and was bringing the Coleman kerosene lantern over to the group. It was decided to turn it off, since we had plenty of light from the fire, sadly I didn't know how to turn it off and made the mistake of twisting the screw thingy on the top of the lantern, which was VERY hot and managed to burn my finger and thumb. I vaguely doing this before when I was a child and camping with my parents, but I survived then and I survived now....

Everybody was pretty worn out after the day of boating, so we turned in pretty early. Alex was still challenged with his flat air mattress, luckily Sam had blown up a floaty chair that was initially going to be used on the lake but Alex ended up using that as his sleeping chair. Sadly, we have no photos of Alex "sleeping" in the floaty chair with his Boise headphones that he needed to use to block out Tony's snoring.

Personally, I again loved falling asleep looking up at the stars through the skylight in the tent. Admittedly, I did say after falling and burning myself that I hated camping, but that was just tired, grumpy five-year-old Andrea coming out. I still greatly enjoy camping and look forward to my next trip.

9 comments:

Queen B said...

great recap, great photos!

Now that sounds like MY kind of breakfast!

Love the pic of Jill's toe and cheeto :)

Sorry for your injuries. That says a lot that you are ready to go back for more :)

Paula said...

sorry for all the bad luck in the injury dept!!!
Glad you had fun overall!

Sam said...

I took the photo of the cheeto on Jill's toe:-) Of course I was just documenting the trip... not the instigator:-). way too funny.

Marti said...

I am so proud of you and your great attitude about this whole experience. I think a brand new Andrea is blossoming.

Jane said...

My idea of camping is the Hilton

Ann said...

Great post and great pics. I love camping, we haven't been for a few years. I think I'll put that on my list for next year.

Hope your injuries are healing well! ;)

Jenn Ann said...

This makes me want to cave to the hubby's desire to camp at a lake somewhere. Almost...

Jinjer said...

Looks like a great time, all except for your injuries. Love all the pics!

Kim Thomas said...

If it's bad enough that you have to go camping on me, you went waterskiing? I LOVE waterskiing, havent been in years but it is the best!