Monday, September 15, 2008

Sad Single Life

While there are still a number of things that I could talk about regarding the camping trip, I'm finally a little bored with rehashing it. In a couple weeks, who knows, it may come up again, but right now, I'm closing the book on that adventure. It was a great time and I will definitely go camping in that style again....

On to my next obsession...my Sad Single Life.

I've been thinking about this for a while. I read all the HCBC blogs and hear about their husbands and families and can't really appropriately understand because, well, I have neither a husband nor children. I'm okay with that most of the time, but over the past couple of weeks it has started to get to me.

Then yesterday I was on the phone with my best friend from college. She and her family are down in San Antonio. I am the Godmother to both of her kids, I was a bride's maid in her wedding, her folks are like another set of parents to me, blah, blah, blah. She has yet to come visit me. In fact, as I sit here and think back over the many years that I have known her, I've always gone to visit her, but she has always had a slightly more demanding life between her kids, helping to raise her sister's daughter, managing her parents' and now her own daycare, but whatever. So, back to yesterday's conversation.

Her: Husband's cousin is getting married in Rhode Island in a couple of weeks and we are going up there for the wedding.
Me: Oh how fun! Taking the kids?
Her: Nope, just the two of us.
Me: When are you going to come visit me? (Because we all know that San Francisco with ABBA is much more fun than a chi chi wedding in Rhode Island.)
Her: When you get married, we'll come see you...

I know this shouldn't affect me, but it was sort of like a punch in the stomach, especially after all my sad, single life thoughts that I've been having....

I'm considering dusting off my Match.com profile and going that route again, but that would require an updated picture of me, since I don't think it is fair to put my 20 year old photo from college up there. Maybe it'll just be less frustrating to get a cat and start becoming the crazy cat woman I keep threatening my family with...

7 comments:

Paula said...

ABBA--he's out there somewhere! It took a lot of toads (1st husband being the biggest toad) before I found Craig. Plenty of time to become crazy cat lady when you are 80! Until then, keep looking! And enjoy all the first/only dates.

Paula said...

sorry had to tend to screaming lunatic child (seriously...sometimes, kids are not all they are cracked up to be)....anyways...think of the wacky first/only dates more as "bullets dodged"

Queen B said...

I agree... hang in there. You are doing things right. First you have to focus on making yourself happy, then you'll be ready to deal with men interrupting your happy place ;)

And I think that's crap that you only get visitors when you get married. But I understand your situation - I was always the one visiting others... never having people visit me. Their loss, is what I decided!

Jinjer said...

I don't dig the comment that was made to you to be honest...she should come visit you, married or not. You will find your prince, he is out there. Now, I say update the match.com profile and go have some fun! :)

Jane said...

Funny Comment
No comments about spouse or lack their of on my blog

Serious Comment
I had 13 marriages (not me but people I set up) under my belt. 9 are still married. I would love to play cupid!

Sympathic comment
I dont think your friend meant harm, just brush it off and hang in there!

LoSpace said...

Hmmm maybe I will have to offer to come visit you (even though you've never met me, let me assure you -- I am VERY fun, ask any of the HCs who have -- ha!). It's sometimes hard when people have little kids to get out and visit friends far away, but once the kids are bigger -- Open Season!!! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Kim Thomas said...

Did I screw up my comment? I don't see it....I had posted a long comment on this one but now I don't have time to re-write it. So here is another one: I met David on the Internet and we have been married for 11 years. Dust off match.com