Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Happy Anniversary, California

Three years ago on this day, January 13th, I landed in California to work on a 3 - 4 month project and then be sent back to Texas.

Fast forward to May of 2006... It looks like we are still going to need you, but we want you to move from the Residence Inn hotel to corporate apartments.

July of 2006... I pack up my apartment and move everything I own into a storage unit. I then pack up my CRV and head off across the country to drive my own vehicle out to California since they are extending my time and I'm really tired of driving rental cars. I still have tucked in my visor the 3x5 card on which my Mom wrote the directions to take the back roads up to Amarillo to get onto Highway 40. It is one of my little touchstones that keep me connected to my Texas roots.

October of 2006... I've been convinced to just go ahead and pick up and fully move out to California. I get a nice 2 bedroom apartment, have my belongings shipped out, and set up house. I enjoy it. I make friends. I get comfortable.

February 2007.... My folks come and visit me in my first place. Mom and I explore the wine country, which has been very beneficial to some of my California friends as I've introduced them to a couple of the wineries that Mom and I discovered. Dad puts up my shower rod and fixes things around the apartment (that's what he does). We all explore the Alcatraz and Fisherman's Warf. Mom and Dad drive down to Big Sur.

2007... Blurs by. I explore more. I see more of California. I get in a rut and get depressed. I miss home and family and all those other things that one associates with Texas. I have The Queen come out and stay with me one week a month. I visit the Winchester House 3 times. I get my California license and vehicle registered in October. I spend Christmas with friends in Santa Cruz. I spend New Year's Eve in the city. I have adventures.

February 2008... The Queen stops visiting me. I decide I need a change of location. I start purging things from my home.

April 2008... I find an apartment in the city. My sister comes to visit. She and I explore and have adventures. I move into my new apartment and learn about city life.

2008.... Blurs by. I have new adventures. I enjoy bar-b-ques in Sam's garden. I go camping and boating. I go horse back riding. I find new wineries. I take quilt classes. I get depressed and miss Texas and my family very, very much. I start taking Pilates. I start and then stop walking the hills. I go to Healdsburg for Thanksgiving and home for Christmas. I make plans to do things and I ignore plans to do things.

January 13, 2009... Do I have another California year in me? There is still so much that I want to do and see. So many questions keep circling in my head. For now, though, I'll stick it out for a couple of more months.

So, California... Happy Anniversary!! Here's to our relationship of state and individual continuing to develop....

4 comments:

Queen B said...

the best times were when I was staying with you those weeks. That was such a fun arrangement.

there are so many fun places to see/visit in CA. I definitely agree. But in Texas we have Aggieopolgy game nights...

Can't wait to see what 2009 brings you

Sam said...

Amazing how one change can effect the course of your life for years to come. 2009 Cali... well there is Yosemite to visit. Nothing like standing near a giant waterfall just like john muir did to appreciate the beauty of the outdoors; more horeback riding adventures...maybe down to the river in the summer with the required beverages and food:-); exploring the 'hoods in SF. I went out walking with Kenya before dark and it was great. Those hills are just as good as a gym!!; more wine country; another camping/boat trip in the fall; dinner party at your place to enjoy all that wine you have..lol; more BBQ in Sam's secret garden; maybe visit tahoe I can go on and on:-)

Kim Thomas said...

Happy Anniversary and BTW I LOVE THE Winchester House!

Kim Thomas said...

And Sam is right, you have to go to Yosemite!