Thursday, May 6, 2010

AC Drama

For those of you who are unaware, I recently purchased a house (less than 2 months ago) and it is in Texas.

Spring has now started to move into Summer here in Texas and the temperatures are rising. Today it is supposed to be over 90 degrees.

When it gets that hot, it is time to turn on the air conditioner. I mean, if you got it, flaunt it.

Sadly, when I went to turn on my AC...there was a lot of blowing, but no cooling.

OH NO!!

Luckily, I found the number of the heating and cooling contractor for my house and called them. They put me into their rotation today and a technician made it out here.

He starts asking me all the questions that they are supposed to ask and my answer to him is "I've lived here less than 2 months. I've never had the AC on. Isn't it just supposed to work in a new house with a new unit?"

Turns out that YES, it is supposed to work in a new house with a new unit....if the person who installed it had remembered to actually flip the breaker at the outside unit....

And, on a side note.... Dipping tobacco is disgusting. The guy, while very friendly and efficient, had a big ol' wad of chew in his mouth and little tobacco juice daubs at the corners of his lips, and when he smiled, or talked, all of his teeth were kinda brown and gooey looking. I have a habit of watching a person's mouth when they speak to make certain that I catch what they are saying, but with this guy I kept having to turn away because he was making me a little nauseous.

4 comments:

KFuj said...

The dip is gross!

We had a broken hose with our heater. I waited until it was very cold to turn on the heat our first year. We went a week without heat and it was December around Christmas so our house was roughly 50 degrees all day long!!

Glad yours was fixed quickly!!!

LoSpace said...

Yeah, flip the breaker, what a concept...bummer you had a delay and service call just for that, huh! Also, agree on chewing tobacco -- very coarse and ill-bred. Who even does that anymore?!?! Apparently, the HVAC tech...

Jane said...

1. Thank goodness you discovered it now and not when it is super blazing hot

2. My ex and his brother used to use chewing tobacco (spit went into old 7-11 cups). My MJM then 2 drank a whole mouth full of the "juice" once. Nice.

Queen B said...

UGH

The guy I sat next to in class would spit during class. So sexy...