Tuesday, September 21, 2010

2010 Camping Recap

So, this isn't actually a recap, but more of an update on my ankle that I thought I sprained on my first day of camping.

Last week after a day of trying to survive with just an ace bandage on and watching my toes turn more purple and black, I decided to break down and actually go to a podiatrist and have it all looked at. Turns out that the blood (bruising) that was pooling in my ankle and toes was caused not by a sprain but by a torqued ligament in the ankle. Luckily there was no actual break and even though it had been 5 days since the incident occurred and yes I had done lots of walking and what not on said foot, the doctor felt it was fixable without surgery.

Instead of surgery, I have been placed in a air boot/soft cast, which I have to wear all the time for at least two weeks. It has this air bladder in it that I can pump up to make it tighter and then let the air out when I'm ready to take it off for showers (and once in a while just to let my foot breathe). I don't see how people manage with real casts on their feet/legs/arms. It hasn't even been a week for me and I'm about to scream. I am, however, finally starting to be able to sleep a little better in it, as long as I don't kick my other foot. I've also realized that I can take the whole thing off in my sleep....which I probably shouldn't say because I can just hear my mother chastising me for doing that....Mom, don't read that part.

All in all, things could have been much worse, but I'm hoping that if we do go camping again next year, the group opts to "camp" in the lodge across the lake with real beds and indoor plumbing, and a dock to step onto the boats, rather than forcing me to hike through the outback to reach our destination....

1 comment:

Queen B said...

LOL @ "mom don't read that" :)

When the King had a cast on his arm, he was shoving forks or something inside it to itch.... the whole thing was a terrible time...

your boot is hot :) or, at least the pedicure is