Monday, July 7, 2008

Goal Setting

We all need to have goals, large and small. Large goals for me are:
  • Find a new job
  • Lose weight
  • Travel to Europe
  • Become a world renowned (or at least paid) artist and author
My small goals are much more mundane. They could almost be called my "To Do" list, but writing them out as goals makes them sound more important. So, here are my goals for today:
  • Shave my legs (check)...not exciting but needed to be done
  • Blog (check)...this will be the top of every goal list this week
  • Complete the paperwork for getting a passport
Whew, that seems like a pretty full day there... I don't want to wear myself out!!

Now in thinking about the "large" goals and the "small" goals I think perhaps I need to come up with some "medium" goals. The medium goals are those that are actually attainable in a respectable amount of time, however, they also require slightly more focus and time to complete. Small goals can be part of the completion of a medium goal and medium goals can be part of the completion of larger goals. So, here are my medium goals:
  • Acquire my passport
  • Rewrite my resume, again
  • Get my car washed
  • Mail Mother's and Father's Day presents (yeah, I'm a wee bit late)
  • Mail the Queen her wine)
  • Figure out what is wrong with my Mac Book
  • Perform wardrobe repair (e.g., replace buttons, hems, patch, etc.)
Of course, now I have to remember that I've set these goals, track to them, and report on them, don't I? I guess look for future reports on where I am on completing my goals.

3 comments:

Queen B said...

ooh, love this topic! I think that everyone should do a post on their goals - short, medium and long! I'll get right on that (and avoid work on this Monday after a 3 day weekend!).

Love your short goals! Love that none of them involve work :) I so need to add "work on husband getting passport" to my goals list! I need some company next time I go to Mexico (or at least someone to babysit me on the Tequila Train!).

Jinjer said...

Lists and goals are the best! I like the classifications of large, small and medium. I think I, too, will blog about this in the coming week! Keep us posted on your accomplishments!

Kim Thomas said...

RO! That car washed is medium. I need to add aquirre passport to my list