Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Television Extremes

Hi, my name is ABBA and I'm a television addict....

Well, that might be overstating it a bit, but I do tend to watch a lot of television and yesterday I was on a whole pendulum of extremes. I admit that I'm a huge fan of the completely mindless "Charmed" and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" but I chalk those up to:

  1. Being based on strong female characters
  2. "Charmed" taking place in San Francisco and every time I'm driving around I'm looking for the house they live in
  3. I've had a HUGE crush on the guy that plays Giles in "Buffy" since I first saw him in the Folgers Coffee commercials years ago

But, that isn't the extremes that I'm referring to today. Today, I refer to the game show extremes that I watched yesterday.

On the upswing, I watched "Jeopardy" the thinking person's game show. I love to watch that show, especially if I can actually answer some of the questions. Sadly, I will never be able to compete on that show because I DON'T know a lot of the answers and I always forget to answer in the form of a question.

On the downswing, I finished my night by watching "Wipeout" and "I Survived a Japanese Game show". "I Survived a Japanese Game show" takes a group of Americans, ships them off to Japan, divides them up into two teams, and then pits the teams against one another in different tasks in front of the camera and the Japanese studio audience. The winning team gets to go do some grand thing in Japan, such as a spa day where they experienced tiny fish eating the dead skin off their feet. The losing team has to do some not so fun task, such as plant rice or be rickshaw drivers for a day. The two teams then meet back at the studio and the losing team has to send two individuals to compete with the loser going home. In the end, the last one standing will win a quarter of a million dollars and have the bragging rights to the claim of surviving a Japanese game show.

I know it is sad that I waste my evenings watching such drivel, but it makes me laugh, and in my world, that is all that matters. Besides, did you not read the first sentence of this blog?

5 comments:

Ann said...

Admitting that you have an addiction is the first step!

Jinjer said...

I am proud that you admitted your addiction. I happen to be an addict as well. Should we join a help group together?

Queen B said...

What does "Wipeout" cover? I am avoiding both of these shows because with reality tv, if I watch one episode, I am forever sucked in.

Sam said...

Wait I disagree. buffy the vampire slayer is not "mindless" The show dealt with many issues about growing up but in a smart and clever way. And yes it was baout female strength is all forms not just physical. I agree i loved Giles but my heart belonged to "Spike" sigh ok I digress.. it really was about female empowerment:-).

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I miss watching that show. Its hard to find shows like that. Everything seems to be reality which i must admit I am not a fan of. Thus my tv watching has dwindled.

Kim Thomas said...

I am right there with you...can't wait till fall.