Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Trying to Break The Cycle

I'm once again trying to break the cycle of caffeine. I made the mistake recently and started ordering soda when I've been out at restaurants. Then I bought a some Dr. Pepper to have at home. I also bought some of the bottled Starbucks frappucinos.

I'd been so good in cutting caffeine out of my life and had been feeling much better. I was saving money on not buying the $5ish coffees and sleeping better. But that all went to hell in a hand basket the past couple of weeks.

Yesterday, I had not one but two big Dr. Peppers, finishing the last one up around 8:30 while watching Biggest Loser and listening to Will and The Hot Chics, with "Polly", Queen B, and "Natassia". I then was wired enough to stay up and watch the end of Dancing with the Stars.

I headed off to bed around 11:15ish, which is REALLY late for me. I then couldn't figure out why I felt so strange. I couldn't relax. My legs were all jumpy. I couldn't find a comfortable spot. I just wasn't happy. Then it dawned on me....caffeine.

Eventually, I did fall asleep and it was really hard getting up this morning, but I managed to drag myself out of bed. I had a huge struggle this morning on my way into the office... stop at Starbucks/don't stop at Starbucks...

I ended up passing on stopping and now I can't stop yawning. If I can make it through the day, hopefully I'll be able to sleep this evening and not have to deal to much with the caffeine detox...

5 comments:

Queen B said...

yep. it's all about making it through one day. I totally sympathize. After not drinking sodas at all for a very long time, I've gotten the cravings back for Diet DP due to the endless supply provided by A&M on school weekends.

Jenn Ann said...

It hurts less if you try to ween yourself off, but that's not really successful. I'm about to start my caffiene detox as well. I have become completely addicted in 2 weeks and I realized that I just feel better without it...sigh!

LoSpace said...

One of my friends said try to kick it when you're (a)sick or (b)on vacation. So you're out of your normal routine . . . maybe you won't notice the jonesing ;) Good luck! Also, those iced coffees at McDs are not too bad and easy on the budget!!

Kim Thomas said...

I am back on the buzz....the Chai Tea is not leaving my body. I can't quit, period.

Jinjer said...

You are a very brave woman. Caffeine is my life!