Monday, September 22, 2008

Family Horn Tooting!!!

This past weekend my Mom, niece, and nephew all entered quilts into the Trinity Valley Quilt Guild's annual quilt show.

My Mom, who is a prolific art quilter, entered 3 or 4 quilts, I'm not quite sure. Every time that I would hear from her she was putting on ANOTHER quilt sleeve or binding another quilt in preparation for the show. Part of this was probably due to the fact that she was also in charge of the miniature quilt auction as well as participating in a group quilt with her Creative Crones quilting group.

My niece and nephew both entered quilts as well. The show has a "Young Quilters" category that they could have entered, but that category is not judged and coming from a somewhat competitive family they wanted to have their work judged. So, they both ended up in the "Small Pieced Machine Quilted" category. Mom's, I'm sure were in the "Art Quilt" category.

Anyway, Mom won an Honorable Mention and a Third place for two of her quilts. She also won part of the shared prize for her small 9"x12" Alzheimer's Quilt which will be auctioned off to help fund Alzheimer research. Check out the Alzheimer Quilt Project, if you are interested in learning more. I don't have pictures of my Mom's quilts to display, at least not the finished quilts.

Now to the big news, my nephew, Colin, who is 11 won Second Place in his category!! This is his first quilt ever, and I'm very happy for him!! He did all the work himself on this quilt, except for some of the quilting that my mom did. I don't know if this is going to be something that he will pursue, but I'm very proud of our boy. He won and won big against a bunch of ladies that have probably been making quilts for years!! Here is his quilt before the quilting was done while it is up on Mom's design wall:




Colin - I'm SOO proud of you!!

7 comments:

Jinjer said...

GO Colin!! That quilt is awesome!!!

Queen B said...

yay! that's awesome! go, Colin!

Anonymous said...

And when I picked up the prizes after the show, the little stinker came away with $40.00...prize money donated by one of the vendors!! By the way, we weren't competing against each other, because our quilts were in separated categories!! Mom

Jenn Ann said...

That's awesome!

I do not have the patience for quilting. I admire those that do!

LoSpace said...

I love that halloween theme. Awesome!

Paula said...

That pumpkin is just AMAZING!!! congrats to Collin!!
Congrats to Mom too!

Kim Thomas said...

I love this!