Thursday, February 5, 2009

Breast Cancer 3-Day Walk

I’m fat and out of shape and decided that I needed something that would motivate me to get into shape. For a number of years I had been thinking that I wanted to do something big and kept telling myself that I would run a marathon (like Oprah). But, I’m never going to run a marathon, and I know this, I’m not a runner.... However, I AM a walker and I while I can walk, I should be able to do something good with my walking.

I saw one of the Breast Cancer 3-Day Walk ads and decided to look into it, because it is walking and not a race, I figure this will be a great motivation. I went to the orientation meeting and the first question that I was asked was “Why are you doing this?” I had to stop and think because all of the other folks there were saying they were doing it for moms, friends, siblings, etc. who they have lost to breast cancer. I’m standing there feeling very selfish because I was doing this walk to motivate myself to get healthy. I haven’t lost anybody to breast cancer. I’ve known people who have had breast cancer, but the disease has never touched me as intimately as many of the other people at the meeting.

So, I had to go back and ask myself, aside from the selfish motivation, why AM I doing this walk? Why am I planning to walk 60 miles in 3 days? Why am I planning on sleeping in a tent at night after walking 20 miles? Why am I willing to shower in a truck and use a Port-a-Potty (and you should know that I despise Port-a-Potties)?

Then, it dawned on me, I’m doing it to raise the money and raise the awareness. I would really like to have this disease kicked and the research that the money goes for is doing just that.

I’m doing this for the next group of men and women that are coming up so that they WON’T have to worry about breast cancer.

I’m doing this for my niece Kathleen and my nephew Colin.

I’m doing this for my Godchildren, Maeve and Patrick.

I’m doing this for all my cousins and their kids.

I’m doing this for all my friends who have children in their lives.

On October 2 - 4, I will, along with thousands of other men and women, start a 3 day journey to walk 60 miles. I'm looking forward to this and scared that I won't be able to do this. However, my journey is nothing compared to those fighting this disease.

So, I’m asking you to help me. Please, help me raise the money that I need to participate. Please go to the Breast Cancer 3-Day Walk website, click on the Donate tab, search for me using this participant code: 2740147 and donate. I will also be sending an email asking for your support.

And, check back often to watch my progress on this journey. I'll be updating both my participant site with information as well as my ABBA blog with my tails of training.

Thank you for your time and support.

9 comments:

Andrea said...

YOU ROCK! I'm so excited, I'm the first one! I have many friends who do this EVERY YEAR. One of my friends, Ursula, and her team go to a different city every year for their three day. They all say it is one of the greatest things they have ever done.

I feel the same way about our half-marathon for St. Jude... and it's only ONE day!

Best of luck!

Queen B said...

I love this post :) one of your best.

And... you're doing it for your girls, too! You don't want to lose 'em :)

Christine said...

I had a friend do this and she said it was amazing... you will love it!

Sam said...

Aww my eyes tered up..where do I donate!? oh thats right you linked it:-). Of course I and I am sure many others ( abby mentioned it too) will be there to chear you on along the route!

Diane said...

That is an awesome reason to participate! I bet you will meet some amazing people.

Kim Thomas said...

This is awesome! My cousin was diagnosed with breast cancer last year and I am so grateful for those that support this cause.

Jane said...

You are not fat! This is a great event, I am so excited you are doing it!!

Great cause too!

Paula said...

How awesome!!! A great cause and great reasons!

Julie said...

The first time I participated in the 3 Day (in 2002) I did it for the same reason -- it was an awesome personal challenge and would kick start my personal wellbeing goals. This year I will be walking in my 4th 3 Day. I've crewed in 3 more. Unfortunately, my reasons for participating have become more urgent. I lost one of my best friends to BC. No matter what your reason, you are a bold, caring person for standing up and taking on this challenge.