Monday, June 8, 2009

Valhalla Renaissance Faire - My Weekend Part I

This past weekend I went to the Valhalla Renaissance Faire in Lake Tahoe with my friends Angie and Seamus and their son Aidan. Hopefully, somebody got a picture of me in my costume and I will post it, however, I don't have one at this point, but I do want to go ahead and post to let everybody know about the adventure. 

Angie, Aidan, and I head out on Friday to drive up to South Lake Tahoe. Seamus drove up later with some of his friends who were bringing the baby's wagon that Seamus fashioned out of a small wine barrel. The drive was pretty good. We stopped for dinner at a Carl's Jr. in Folsom, after quoting Johnny Cash song lyrics ("I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die..."). I didn't recall ever eating in a Carl's Jr. and I have to say that it was quite tasty. After a bite, bathroom breaks, and diaper changing, we pile back in the car and push on through to the hotel. We stayed at the Royal Valhalla on the Lake. The hotel met all of the qualifications that a hotel should have... it was clean, safe, and convenient. The best part, my room had a view of the lake... at lake level. 

Angie and I checked in and asked for adjoining rooms because we were going to help each other get ready in the morning... What? With costumes and getting hair and baby and all the accoutrement... it takes a whole village to get ready for these Faires!! Anyway, they couldn't put us in adjoining rooms without putting Angie, Seamus, and Aidan into a smoking room. However, they did have a room two doors down from their room for me, but it is a smoking room. Luckily, it didn't smell at all like a smoking room... and it had the great view. Well, Angie and I get into our rooms and unload the car. I hang out in her room for a bit to help her get settled with Aidan. 

About 10 PM we decide it is bed time and I leave to go down to my own room. I leave her room and I see what I think at first is some body's dog right outside my room. I take a step towards it and realize that no it isn't a dog... it is a raccoon!! I big, adolescent raccoon!! I totally freak out and bang on Angie's door. She let me back in and we called the front desk because I didn't want to walk towards it to get into my room because I could just see that thing attack me like the one in Elf that attacked Will Ferrell.... So, the front desk guy comes and tries to scare the beast off, oh and remove the trash can that the animal was digging in for dinner. I wait a moment and then head back out. Luckily, while the raccoon was no longer standing directly outside my door, it was still around but I made it in safe and sound. 

Here is what I found (and didn't find) in my room: 1. Half eaten can of cocktail peanuts and an open can of International House of Coffee - Vanilla 2. No trash can 3. A box fan 3. No washrags or hand towels, although I do have bath towels and all the other stuff that is supposed to be in the room. So, I'm like fine. I wash my face and crawl into bed and realize that it is REALLY dark and I decide to leave the bathroom light on just so I can find my way around. I go to sleep.....

6 comments:

Queen B said...

hahahahaha! a raccoon?!??!?! I'm loving this adventure already :)

Jenn Ann said...

Why am I surprised that you were scared of a raccoon? You've got to post a picture!!! Aren't you wanting money for your walk too? This is sort of a fun game for me...what will you do to earn my donation? :)

Andrea said...

I wasn't necessarily "scared" of the raccoon, it just sorta freaked me out and I hear that they are mean and he was only like 5 feet from my door...

I would say that I would FFSU through the whole walk, but it is 60 miles and they've already said that we can't have phones or ipods or anything during the walk that would distract us from the walk and might cause injury, so I can't quite follow in the Queen's footsteps. Plus, my Bberry won't hold a charge for 3 days....

Jaye said...

...and????????? The suspense!!! What happened next?? Is this going to be a serial saga??? Cannot wait for the next installment!

Jane said...

I always leave the bathroom light on in a strage hotel room :)

On Gossamer Wings said...

You may not ahve been scared of the raccoon, but I surely was!! They're viscious critters!