Saturday, January 16, 2010

2010 Book 2 - The Big Over Easy

The second book that I've finished this year is The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde. Now, I'm a huge Jasper Fforde fan. I've read the whole Thursday Next series and will read my way through his Nursery Crime series. To give you an idea of what this book is about, here is what is written on the back of the book:
Welcome to the seedy underbelly of nursery crime... Meet Inspector Jack Spratt, family man and head of Reading's Nursery Crime Division. He's investigating the murder of ovoid D-class nursery celebrity Humpty Dumpty, ex-convict and lover of women, found shattered to death beneath a wall in a shabby area of town. Yes, the big egg is down, and all those little pieces sitting in the morgue point to foul play. Spratt and his new partner, Sergeant Mary Mary, search through Humpty's sordid past in hopes of finding the key to his death. Before long, Jack and Mary find themselves immersed in a bizarre case that reaches into the highest echelons of Reading society and business.
I am truly amazed at the ingenuity of Fford. The yarns that he spins are really quite amazing to me and I thoroughly enjoy reading his works. His writing won't be fore everybody, I'm sure but if you are looking for a tongue in cheek look at the classic nursery stories, pick the book up and see where it takes you.

1 comment:

Queen B said...

I'm not totally sold.... I think I need to see the book...