Saturday, January 16, 2010

2010 Book 3 - A Reliable Wife

I picked up this book the other day at Barnes & Noble because I had some time to kill before going to a quilt guild meeting. It was a fast read and got me through this day of staying indoors and trying to get through a touch of bronchitis.

A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick was a quick read, but not something that I would recommend to anybody. Here is the blurb from the back of the book:
He placed a notice in a Chicago paper, an advertisement for a "reliable wife". She responded, saying that she was "a simple, honest woman". She was, of course, anything but honest, and the only simple thing about her was her single-minded determination to marry this many and then kill him, slowly and carefully, leaving herself a wealthy widow. What Catherine Land did not realize was that the enigmatic and lonely Ralph Truitt had a plan of his own.
It sounds like it would be quite the page turner, and admittedly it was, but the characters are very one dimensional and the story line is a little stilted.

I'd rather talk about the guild meeting that I went to. The guild is one of the smaller ones in the area, but I met a very nice lady, Sarah, there who had just joined as well and had also just recently began quilting. The speaker was interesting, while I wasn't a big fan of her work and found some of her stuff to be downright hideous, it did make me want to get involved again in guild work and I'm looking forward, as always, to getting settled and get all my quilting stuff out of storage and get a real studio set up. Tomorrow I go house hunting again, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be something out there that fits my needs and just feels right. As the Queen told me last week while looking I'll either know that the house is the right one when I walk in or I'll decide on the one that best meets all my needs when I get tired of looking. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be the former.

2 comments:

Jaye said...

Which guild have you joined? Is it a night meeting? Your latest book sounds about as yuk as my last read! Why do we feel compeled to finish bad literature!!!

Queen B said...

I'll take it next... can we book exchange?