Tuesday, August 28, 2012

August Blog Challenge Day 28

Today's challenge is to document 5 books that I would recommend and why. Hmmm, this might be tough. I have read, and forgotten, so many books and even though I have a lot of books that I really loved, I'm not certain they would be 'worthy' of recommending to others. But, here are some books that I can recall that I think at least some of you out there might also appreciate.

1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - Classic novel. Great story. If you have missed reading this, you are a fool. I think everybody should read this book....and see the movie.

2. Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore - I have spoken about this book in the past. It is just one of those books that made me laugh out loud. I'm sure a lot of people would find it offensive as it is a little sacrilegious, but it is still funny.

3. The Name of the Rose and Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco - I first read these books in my "Mystery as Literature" class in college. Again, some may find them walking the edge of sacrilegious, but I don't care. They are suspenseful and intriguing and keep your mind occupied while you are engrossed in them. They would probably fall into the "can't put down" category.


4. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde - This book, and the whole Thursday Next series of which this is the first, are great books for literary aficionados, and others as well. I love the play on words and ideas through out this series. However, it is also just full of fluff and nutter, which I also love.

5. Charlotte's Web by E.B. White - This goes back to my childhood reading, obviously. But I love this book and think it is one of those great books that teaches you to accept creatures no matter what they look like and to not take a blanket view of somebody just because of your history with people "like" them. You should accept everyone as an individual. I mean, even the rat turned out to be pretty decent....oh and of course I cried at the end.


3 comments:

Sara said...

hmmmmm..... I think I have read To Kill a Mockingbird. I think. This is the problem with books (and movies).... I read (/watch) them and then totally forget what they're about.

I've at least seen Charlotte's Web :)

Jane said...

Great list!!

Jaye said...

Great list!!! You reminded me of a few I had forgotten to list!