Tuesday, August 7, 2012

August Blog Challenge Day 7

Today's Challenge was to post a picture of a place that I have been. Well, as you know, I've been a lot of places lately, so I decided to find a picture of someplace that I've been to, but it has been a long time....

This is a picture of Longwood Plantation. It is located in Natchez, MS. When we lived in Mississippi we took one of our family trips to visit some of the historic battle sites and antebellum homes. This would be when I was in elementary/junior high time frame, so many, many years ago.

Sadly, there is a lot of those trips that I do not recall, but I've never forgotten this house. It is thought to be the largest octagonal house, unfortunately, it was never completed. The interior was never completed. All worked stopped on the building when the Civil War broke out and it never was restarted.


You can visit the building and see where the scaffolding remains and if I recall correctly you could even find the tools where the workmen left them....of course I may be thinking about the Winchester Mystery House...

The other thing that I remember is that this house was being built by Dr. Nutt, so I have always thought of it as the Nutt House, but if you Google Nutt House, you don't find Longwood. I guess I should thank my parents for taking my sister and me on these trips, I may not have appreciated it at the time, but in the long run it has made my life so much richer. 

5 comments:

Sara said...

very cool flashback story :)

Jaye said...

You are so right...the story was that when Civil war broke out, so many of the craftsmen/carpenters were from the North that when word came about the war, they just left immediately...and when we visited the place, it was finished on the first two floors, at least, livable, but the upper two were just as they left it in 1861....very eerie!! Could really feel their presence! Thanks for remembering!!!

Diane said...

Interesting, the top portion looks like it could be from India.

Jane said...

Omg love this place, love natchez trail. Always wanted to ride my Harley there

Kim Thomas said...

I really want to go to a plantation