Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Musculoskeletal System

I have a history of back problems and come by it honestly as it is something that has been "handed" down through the generations. I'm pretty used to my back going out on me and have learned how to deal with it.

My pain normally manifests in my lower back and hips. In fact, a couple of years ago when I participated in walking a Half Marathon, one of my hips slipped out of joint on me and by the time I got to the end of the race I could no longer bend my knee and was literally 2 inches shorter on one side of my body. That was when I started to go to a chiropractor on a regular basis. He helped get me adjusted and aligned, after many visits over a couple of years. He lectured me on posture and how bad sitting hunched over a desk all day working on a computer was for my whole skeletal system and how issues with the back caused all sorts of other medical issues. But he was focused solely on the "skeletal" and didn't really give me a lot of direction in the best ways to protect the skeletal by working on the muscles.

I stopped going to him, obviously, when I moved to California. Luckily, I found something out there that I liked even better than having my back cracked and it had many more benefits....Pilates. For the last year out in California, I was doing Pilates once a week and had far fewer back (hip, knee, neck, shoulder, etc.) issues than the many previous years and I know it was because I had done so much work on strengthening the "musculo" part of the "musculoskeletal" system. Sadly, I haven't continued doing Pilates since I've returned to Texas and I'm starting to see/feel the muscles atrophying. Yesterday during my walk the old hip started to slip again and I had to limp around for a couple of hours trying to stretch and pop it back into place, which eventually it did go back into place.

So, you may be asking "what will you be doing about this?" Well, I'm going to find another Pilates instructor here in Texas and start working out again. I know it works for me. I know it does the body good. I don't know why I waited this long to actually follow through on doing this.

5 comments:

Queen B said...

I hate musculos and skeletals both today :)

good plan on pilates

KFuj said...

I like pilates but I love yoga even better!!

I hope you find a great pilates instructor in Texas.

Sam said...

We need to clone Abby!

Diane said...

I have never tried pilates, I am glad you have something that works. Good luck on your instructor search.

Jenn Ann said...

Be sure to take the Queen with you...core strength helps reduce muscle spasms ;)